Around 23% of US citizens have reported having migraine symptoms. A migraine is a type of headache that can cause severe throbbing pain or a pulsing sensation. This discomfort can alter your everyday life and prevent you from completing your daily activities. Considering botox for migraines in Houston, TX might be the solution that you were looking for.
If you are suffering from migraines, keep on reading this article to learn more about what you can do to relieve your pain.
What causes migraines?
There are different causes for migraines, from hormonal changes to physical factors. Let’s go over the main ones so that you can identify them.
- Hormonal changes, especially in women, can cause migraines due to fluctuations in estrogen levels, during menstrual periods, pregnancy or menopause. At the same time, oral contraceptives can trigger and worsen migraines.
- Stress at work or home can trigger migraines.
- Changes related to sensory stimuli, such as bright or flashing lights, loud sounds or strong smells.
- Drinking too much alcohol or caffeine can trigger migraines as well.
- Changes in the sleep schedule, not getting enough sleep or getting too much sleep.
- Certain foods that contain processed ingredients can cause migraines. At the same time, skipping meals can cause them as well.
- Changes in the weather can prompt migraines.
- Physical factors such as intense physical activity can provoke migraines.
How can I treat my migraines at home?
In some cases, migraines are not that severed and can be treated at home in simple steps. Yet, remember that dealing with symptoms that prevent you from living your life is not mandatory and you can always visit a doctor to clear your doubts and get the treatment that you need.
Let’s go over some home treatments that you can try when dealing with migraines.
- Applying pressure to your scalp can help relieve tension and stress, which are common triggers for migraines. Massage can also help increase blood flow and reduce pain.
- As we have mentioned before, too much or too little sleep can trigger migraine attacks. Practicing good sleep habits is important for preventing attacks and making migraine symptoms worse. This includes going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, avoiding screens before bed, and spending plenty of time in natural light during the day. A nap can also help with migraines.
- Although exercise is not recommended during a migraine attack or when you feel unwell, it has been shown to be effective in reducing migraine symptoms and attacks. Light exercise like walking or yoga can help bring about positive change.
- Cold compresses have been shown to help with migraine attacks. If you feel that an attack is approaching or you find it difficult to control the symptoms, keep ice packs or bags of ice handy for your temples and neck.
- Dehydration is a common cause of headaches and a trigger for migraines. Keep water available at all times and drink the recommended 8 glasses of water per day.
- Sensitivity to light is a common symptom of migraine headaches. This is called photophobia. Keeping lighting low in living spaces and offices can reduce the chances of an attack. Consider using blackout curtains during the day or wearing sunglasses outdoors.
Botox for migraines in Houston, Texas
One of the options that we mentioned before to treat and get rid of migraines is botox for migraines in Houston, TX. This treatment is thought for people who deal with chronic migraines, having 15 or more headache days a month, and each lasting for 4 hours or more. This treatment is not approved for adults who have fewer migraine days a month.
In this treatment, you will receive several shots of Botox around your head and neck to relieve and prevent migraines. At Interventional Pain Management we strive to give our patients the best treatment. You will receive 30 to 40 shots in all, and you’ll get an equal number on each side of your head. If you have migraine pain in one particular spot, you may need more shots there. You could see results 2 to 3 weeks after your first treatment.
You should only get this type of Botox treatment from a doctor who’s trained to give these shots for chronic migraines. Schedule an appointment at Greater Houston and Victoria Interventional Pain Management and start feeling better.